After about three or four months in your host country, most students will be changing to their second host family. Most students will have three families, thats atleast what Rotary aims for. I have now been in my second host family for a few weeks now. Around the three or four month mark, right around the time when you will switch families, you become comfortable with the language or at least have the basics down, know and understand the culture, and feel comfortable with things. Thats why switching to your second host family can be pretty hard. While I was with my first family, I had no desire to switch at all, I wanted to stay with my first family forever. Now that I am with my second family, I am so happy, just having a different outlook and perspective on things really mixes things up.
Some advice I have for switching host families.
- Have your families meet each other before you switch, a few weeks in advance of the day you're moving, so you're not as nervous to live with new people.
- Have the date of your move set far in advance so you know and can prepare.
- As much as exchange students like to procrastinate on things, dont on packing your things. It can be super overwhelming and stressful to move all of your belongings, already in a stressful time of switching families.
- Do the first night questions with your family. They are awkward, outdated and weird, but do also incredibly helpful. Dont wait to do them, they are called the “First Night Questions” for a reason. Its important that you and your family are clear and on the same page on things.
- Dont be upset if a family does not have kids, currently I live with an elderly couple and they are super cute. Its like living with my Grandparents. At first I was nervous because they don't have kids but it doesn't matter all all. Dont knock it until you try it.
Below is a picture of me and my Host Parents Deva and Fronza! :)
Beijos,
Noah
No comments:
Post a Comment